Position Title: Primary Prevention Specialist
Core Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm (occasional evenings and weekends based on department need)
Supervisor: Manager of Education and Outreach Programs
Department: Education and Outreach
FLSA Status: Exempt
FLSA Exemption Test: Professional Exemption
Starting Salary/Hourly Rate: $45,000-$48,000
Last Updated: 09/13/2021
The Primary Prevention Specialist works to address the root causes of sexual violence and assists community members in finding ways they can contribute to the agency’s mission. Coordinates and implements prevention programming in settings such as, but not limited to, community centers, businesses, schools, and other human service agencies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (includes but is not limited to the following):
- Develop and implement an agency evaluation plan for prevention programs. Collect, review, and maintain data from said evaluations.
- Coordinate program execution within school settings and community partner sites.
- Stay up to date on research-based sexual violence prevention strategies, programs, and media development.
- Create and present sexual assault education and prevention programming to various populations within the Berks County community.
- Implement and deliver community outreach and education initiatives/activities in-person and virtually, utilizing technology including social media platforms. Review, maintain, and report the number of views on various social media platforms to funders.
- Assist department in meeting requirements of all grant-related projects.
- Attend in-person networking events and community outreach events at schools, and other community partner sites throughout Berks County.
- Provide support with the planning and execution of special events.
- Research effective prevention practices best suited with community readiness and needs.
- Research effective media outreach and curriculum adaptation strategies best suited to community needs in a virtual setting.
- Attend trainings and professional development opportunities regarding prevention of sexual violence.
- Maintain records and files as assigned pertaining to education programming.
- Maintain program equipment and supplies.
- All other duties as determined by department supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each of the essential duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or physical or other abilities required.
Educational & Experience Requirements:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced Microsoft office skills
- Public speaking skills
- Social media and media skills required
Employment Experience (amount and kind)
- 3 – 5 years’ experience working in an educational setting, public relations, or human services field(s)
Education (general level required or specific courses)
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Work, Gender Studies, or related Human Services subject preferred, but will consider relevant employment experience in lieu of degree
- High school diploma or equivalent degree required
Essential Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds and may infrequently lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required of this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
- Completion of a background check request, FBI, State Police, and Child Abuse Clearances obtained prior to employment through agency vendor
- Completion of 66-hour Sexual and Domestic Violence Training provided by agency
- Valid driver’s license and insurance are required to travel to client sites