JOB TITLE: Counselor Advocate
CATEGORY: Professional Staff - Exempt
REPORTS TO: Lackawanna County Program Manager
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Provides Crisis and Advocacy services in a manner consistent with the mission of WRC and in full compliance with all policies and procedures of the agency. Works with other staff to assure quality service delivery of services in a way that is just, safe, self directed and restorative.
1. *Provides crisis intervention, individual and group empowerment counseling to program participants. Facilitate WRC support groups for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence.
2. *Respond to initial contacts by program participants with the agency, prioritize requests for service based on critical needs, provide immediate support, information and linkages all WRC services as needed.
3. *Develop and monitor service plans for program participants. Make appropriate referrals to other agencies when necessary.
4. *Answer agency hotlines and respond to crisis situations involving program participants. Provide accompaniment to police, hospitals, and courts.
5. *Act as an advocate for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence with the legal system, medical system and social service system.
6. *Maintain client case records and communicate essential information in appropriate logs in accordance with WRC policy and procedures.
7. *Act as a resource person for staff in the areas of sexual assault and domestic violence.
8. *Act as an agency on call worker.
9. *Prepare and deliver in-service programs and training for agency volunteers.
10. *Pursue ongoing training and education regarding sexual assault, domestic violence, feminist theory, community resources and other related topics.
11. Participate in the agency's community prevention education programs.
12. *Maintain organization of the agency facility and group meeting space. Enforce policies, rules, and safety procedures with group members.
13. *Attend staff meetings, participate in in-service training and attend related professional activities as assigned.
14. Other duties to the support the overall operation of the organization and reflect the team effort necessary to provide quality programs in a crisis setting.
COUNSELOR ADVOCATE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s degree in social work or related human services field or
- A combination of four years education, experience and skill in working with victims of domestic violence and/or sexual assault.
- Applicant must have 3 years of experience in providing counseling and advocacy to marginalized individuals.
- Applicant must have 3 years experience in group facilitation, including developing group materials and curriculum for groups.
- Applicant must successfully complete the WRC crisis intervention training within six months of hire.
- Travel is necessary and access to reliable transportation is essential, including for training and development which may necessitate being out of the area for a period of time over night stays.
- Pass Act 33, Act 34 Clearances and FBI clearance.
- Must be willing to schedule working hours to coincide with the priorities of the Center.
*Indicates the essential job functions as defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Submit Letter of Application and Resume to:
Lackawanna Co. Program Manager
Women’s Resource Center, Inc.
PO Box 975
Scranton, Pa 18501
Or E-Mail to:
Deadline: Monday, June 10, 2019
JOB NOTICE - Counselor Adv FT masters 2019 May