We are seeking a creative, strategic, think-on-your feet people-person who is passionate about our mission of ending sexual harassment, assault, and abuse and has experience with corporate partners, media, and government entities. The ideal candidate enjoys cultivating relationships, managing complex brands and messages, works effectively with cross-functional teams, can work independently with minimal supervision or direction, and thrives in a fast paced setting that is constantly evolving.
The Chief Public Affairs Officer oversees the strategic use of communication vehicles to advance the external images and missions of the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape (PCAR) including the state coalition and the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC); facilitates relationships with prospective corporate investors, donors, government officials; serves as a spokesperson; and responds to media requests. This position informs business development, media, and public policy strategies for the organization in partnership with the Chief Executive Officer.
PCAR understands sexual violence as a social justice issue and works to prevent and respond to sexual violence within this framework. We are committed to nurturing a workplace that is affirming, inclusive, and respectful of all people and the ways in which they identify across race, class, ability, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other characteristics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and planning
- Represents PCAR with representatives of government, business, labor, and other organizations, delivers speeches, and meets with legislative representatives to present organization’s viewpoints.
- Provides support and guidance about messaging to staff and consultants at PCAR, NSVRC, and RALIANCE, as well as to other professionals working in the sexual assault and prevention arenas.
- Provides leadership in agency strategic planning processes, especially related to branding, identity, and business development goals.
Corporate Partnerships, Public Relations and Development
- Increases and safeguards the visibility and credibility of PCAR and provides leadership in areas of reputation management.
- Identifies, engages, cultivates, solicits and stewards current and prospective corporate sponsors to expand their financial support of the work of PCAR’s state and national projects.
- Serves as one of primary external spokespeople for NSVRC and the PA Coalition, with particular emphasis on high profile news stories and major news outlets.
- Comfortable with all types of interviews including live, taped written, and telephone.
- Assists sexual assault programs in responding effectively to high-profile situations.
- Provides strategic vision and leadership to develop legislative priorities for state policy advocacy in coordination with Public Policy Director.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) in Communications, Public Relations, Government Relations, or similar area from a four-year college or university plus five years related experience and/or training in communications. This position requires strong relationship-building and communication skills.
$75,000-$85,000 depending upon qualification.
PCAR offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online by September 13, 2019.
Founded in 1975, The mission of the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape is to work to eliminate all forms of sexual violence and to advocate for the rights and needs of victims of sexual assault. PCAR partners with a network of rape crisis programs to bring help, hope and healing around issues of sexual violence to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. PCAR:
- Assures that communities have access to quality victim services and prevention education by providing funding, training, materials and assistance to a network of rape crisis centers that serve all of Pennsylvania’s 67 counties.
- Provides resources and training on sexual assault-related issues to professionals across PA.
- Promotes public policies that provide protections and services to victims of sexual violence, hold offenders accountable, enhances community safety, and works with media to increase public awareness, access to accurate information and ethical reporting practices.
- Operates the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC), which identifies, develops and disseminates resources regarding all aspects of sexual violence prevention and intervention. NSVRC is the leading nonprofit in providing information and tools to prevent and respond to sexual violence. NSVRC translates research and trends into best practices that help individuals, communities and service providers achieve real and lasting change. NSVRC also works with the media to promote informed reporting.
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
The Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape and The National Sexual Violence Resource Center provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.