The PCAR Communications and Policy Specialist assists the Communications Director in promoting the goals and objectives of PCAR through policy, advocacy, public relations, marketing, and the production of publications. The Communications and Policy Specialist helps to develop PCAR’s annual report, and contributes to its quarterly newsletter; follows relevant news stories, tracks legislation, prepares talking points, press releases, blogs, and other documents; reviews and edits publications; helps with Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) and other campaigns.
PCAR understands sexual violence as a social justice issue and works to prevent and respond to sexual violence within this framework. We are committed to nurturing a workplace that is affirming, inclusive, and respectful of all people and the ways in which they identify across race, class, ability, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other characteristics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Disseminate timely policy updates and alerts to constituents through Blackbaud, Social Media, and other platforms.
- Monitor the progress of sexual violence-related legislation.
- Write, edit and/or publish accessible, web-based materials pertaining to PCAR’s legislative agenda and priority bills.
- Write and/or edit talking points and speeches for rallies, press conferences, hearings, and other public policy events.
- Write and/or edit op-eds and press releases to inform public policy agenda.
Publications & Media
- Help proof read written materials including organizational and project newsletters, factsheets, talking points, brochures, curricula, technical assistance bulletins, web content and other products. Work closely with staff in Training/Technical Assistance Department, Development and Policy as well as other parts of the organization.
- Produce content for the PCAR newsletter and annual report and assists with other PCAR publications.
- Develop talking points, press releases, editorials and other resources in response to current events and issues.
- Serve as active member of social networking work group including posting relevant materials on Facebook and Twitter.
- Assist with PCAR’s marketing materials and public awareness campaigns including for the annual Vision of Hope Gala and Sexual Assault Awareness Month campaign.
- Work closely with the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) Communications Department on joint projects, such as conferences and special events.
Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) in Communications, Journalism, English, Public Relations, Marketing or similar field from a four-year college or university or equivalent experience. This position requires research abilities, a sound understanding of statistics and social science methodology and excellent writing and editing skills. Knowledge of community education, prevention, and/or sexual violence issues helpful.
$35-39,000 depending upon qualification.
Who We Are
Founded in 1975, The mission of the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape is to work to eliminate all forms of sexual violence and to advocate for the rights and needs of victims of sexual assault. PCAR partners with a network of rape crisis programs to bring help, hope, and healing around issues of sexual violence to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. PCAR:
Assures that communities have access to quality victim services and prevention education by providing funding, training, materials, and assistance to a network of rape crisis centers that serve all of Pennsylvania’s 67 counties. PCAR:
- Provides resources and training on sexual assault-related issues to professionals across PA.
- Promotes public policies that provide protections and services to victims of sexual violence, hold offenders accountable, enhances community safety, and works with media to increase public awareness, access to accurate information, and ethical reporting practices.
- Operates the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC), which identifies, develops, and disseminates resources regarding all aspects of sexual violence prevention and intervention. NSVRC is the leading nonprofit in providing information and tools to prevent and respond to sexual violence. NSVRC translates research and trends into best practices that help individuals, communities and service providers achieve real and lasting change. NSVRC also works with the media to promote informed reporting.
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
The Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape and The National Sexual Violence Resource Center provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.
PCAR offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online by November 7, 2019.