The Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape is hiring a Community Organizer to work with members of the Adams County community to develop plans for opening a new center to provide both intervention and prevention services related to sexual harassment, abuse, and assault. Working with community leaders and organizations the Community Organizer will conduct an assessment of the needs related to direct services and prevention services. The Community Organizer will also seek an established organization within Adams County to use as a base of operations and potential location for a center. As an organization or group of individuals expresses intent to open a center, the Community Organizer and PCAR will work with the organization or group to develop a Board of Directors and acquire non-profit status. This is a 12-18 month position.
PCAR understands sexual violence as a social justice issue and works to prevent and respond to sexual violence within this framework. We are committed to nurturing a workplace that is affirming, inclusive, and respectful of all people and the ways in which they identify across race, class, ability, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other characteristics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish and build working relationships with community members and leaders.
- Coordinate and implement a public awareness campaign regarding sexual harassment, abuse, and assault.
- Conduct community needs assessment to determine community’s interest and commitment to the opening of a rape crisis center.
- Conduct focus groups regarding the types of services the community would like to have available to victims of sexual harassment, abuse, and assault.
- Facilitate mentoring relationship between the organization or group identified to open a rape crisis center and centers currently providing service in neighboring counties.
- Act as liaison between PCAR and the group or organization identified to open a rape crisis center for the purpose of provision of technical assistance.
The Community Organizer should have excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as project management, organizational, problem solving, and negotiation skills. A bachelor’s degree in a social science or community development related field or a minimum of two years of relevant professional experience in community development is preferred. A working knowledge of Adams County is also preferred.
Who We Are
Founded in 1975, The mission of the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape is to work to eliminate all forms of sexual violence and to advocate for the rights and needs of victims of sexual assault. PCAR partners with a network of rape crisis programs to bring help, hope, and healing around issues of sexual violence to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. PCAR:
- Assures that communities have access to quality victim services and prevention education by providing funding, training, materials, and assistance to a network of rape crisis centers that serve all of Pennsylvania’s 67 counties.
- Provides resources and training on sexual assault-related issues to professionals across PA.
- Promotes public policies that provide protections and services to victims of sexual violence, hold offenders accountable, enhances community safety, and works with media to increase public awareness, access to accurate information, and ethical reporting practices.
- Operates the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC), which identifies, develops, and disseminates resources regarding all aspects of sexual violence prevention and intervention. NSVRC is the leading nonprofit in providing information and tools to prevent and respond to sexual violence. NSVRC translates research and trends into best practices that help individuals, communities and service providers achieve real and lasting change. NSVRC also works with the media to promote informed reporting.
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
The Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape and The National Sexual Violence Resource Center provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.
PCAR offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Deadline to apply is February 29, 2020.