The Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape is hiring attorneys to work on the Sexual Violence Legal Assistance Project (SV LAP), a statewide project that provides comprehensive legal services to survivors of sexual abuse, harassment, and assault. We are seeking attorneys with experience working in rural or campus communities, and/or correctional institutions to assist survivors with Title IX issues and issues arising under the Prison Rape Elimination Act, in addition to other legal needs faced by survivors. The Staff Attorney will represent survivors in Pennsylvania courts as well as campus or other administrative proceedings, provide legal advice and counsel, and advocate for the rights and needs of clients as agreed upon through limited representation agreements. Successful candidates must be committed to the project goals of providing trauma informed comprehensive legal services. The office is based in Harrisburg, PA, however the position can be located in any rural county within the state of Pennsylvania.
PCAR understands sexual violence as a social justice issue and works to prevent and respond to sexual violence within this framework. We are committed to nurturing a workplace that is affirming, inclusive, and respectful of all people and the ways in which they identify across race, class, ability, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other characteristics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent clients as assigned by the SV LAP Legal Director.
- Collaborate with college campus students and staff in rural communities to promote awareness of legal assistance for Title IX proceedings.
- Collaborate with rape crisis center staff to increase legal services to survivors in rural communities.
- Respond to complaints received by incarcerated survivors regarding the Prison Rape Elimination Act.
Attorneys must be members in good standing of the Pennsylvania Bar with a minimum of three years litigation experience. Exceptional writing and research skills are preferred.
Who We Are
Founded in 1975, The mission of the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape is to work to eliminate all forms of sexual violence and to advocate for the rights and needs of victims of sexual assault. PCAR partners with a network of rape crisis programs to bring help, hope, and healing around issues of sexual violence to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. PCAR:
Assures that communities have access to quality victim services and prevention education by providing funding, training, materials, and assistance to a network of rape crisis centers that serve all of Pennsylvania’s 67 counties.
- Provides resources and training on sexual assault-related issues to professionals across PA.
- Promotes public policies that provide protections and services to victims of sexual violence, hold offenders accountable, enhances community safety, and works with media to increase public awareness, access to accurate information, and ethical reporting practices.
- Operates the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC), which identifies, develops, and disseminates resources regarding all aspects of sexual violence prevention and intervention. NSVRC is the leading nonprofit in providing information and tools to prevent and respond to sexual violence. NSVRC translates research and trends into best practices that help individuals, communities and service providers achieve real and lasting change. NSVRC also works with the media to promote informed reporting.
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
The Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape and The National Sexual Violence Resource Center provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.
PCAR offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Deadline to apply is November 25, 2019.