VOCA Staff Attorney (Part-Time)
The Staff Attorney is responsible for providing holistic and trauma informed legal advice and counsel and brief services to victims of sexual violence. The Staff Attorney is expected to represent clients in court, prepare legal documents, investigate complaints, and prepare cases requiring limited representation for trial or administrative proceedings. The Staff Attorney is expected to use a holistic lens to meet the varied and unique legal needs of victims of sexual violence. Caseloads will include, but are not limited to, Title IX proceedings, sexual violence protection order petitions, sexual violence intimidation order petitions, criminal justice advocacy, landlord tenant matters, and employment discrimination matters. The Staff Attorney will collaborate with members of other internal and external groups addressing the issues of sexual violence in the courtroom and in communities throughout Pennsylvania. The office is based in Harrisburg, PA, however the position can be located in any rural county within the state of Pennsylvania. Availability to travel statewide required. Due to COVID-19, PCAR staff is temporarily working remotely.
PCAR understands sexual violence as a social justice issue and works to prevent and respond to sexual violence within this framework. We are committed to nurturing a workplace that is affirming, inclusive, and respectful of all people and the ways in which they identify across race, class, ability, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other characteristics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Legal Advice and Counsel
- Provide information to victims of sexual violence regarding the legal rights and remedies available to them as victims of crime. Frequently this advice and counsel will take place over the telephone. Additionally, the Staff Attorney will be responsible for providing appropriate referrals to local community resources, including alternative methods of available legal assistance. The Staff attorney will make every effort to connect clients with rape crisis centers for safety planning where safety is an identifiable issue.
- The Staff Attorney will provide short-term legal services and representation to victims of sexual violence. The Staff Attorney in conjunction with the administrative staff of the Legal Department will be responsible for obtaining the required written, informed consent for limited representation. The Staff Attorney must be committed to a holistic approach to identify and resolve the legal needs of victims of sexual violence and deliver representation in a trauma informed manner.
Attorneys must be members in good standing of the Pennsylvania Bar with a minimum of three years experience in the practice of law, including significant courtroom experience. Exceptional writing and research skills are preferred.
$31,510 to $34,185 (20 hours per week)
PCAR offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply here.
Who We Are
Founded in 1975, PCAR works to end sexual violence and advocates for the rights and needs of all sexual assault victims. PCAR partners with a network of rape crisis programs to bring help, hope, and healing around issues of sexual violence to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Ensures that communities have access to quality victim services and prevention education by providing funding, training, materials and assistance to a network of rape crisis centers that serve all of Pennsylvania’s 67 counties.
- Provides resources and training on sexual assault-related issues to professionals across the Commonwealth.
- Promotes public policies that provide protections and services to victims of sexual violence, hold offenders accountable, and enhance community safety.
- Launched the Sexual Violence Legal Assistance Project in 2018 to provide holistic legal services to survivors of sexual violence.
- Works with media to increase public awareness, access to accurate information, and ethical reporting practices.
- Operates the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC), which identifies, develops and disseminates resources regarding all aspects of sexual violence prevention and intervention. The NSVRC also is a partner in a collaborative effort with the National Alliance to End Sexual Violence (NAESV), and the California Coalition Against Sexual Assault (CALCASA)–PreventConnect to operate RALIANCE. RALIANCE was founded in 2015 through a multimillion dollar seed investment by the National Football League with a mission of ending sexual violence in one generation. RALIANCE promotes prevention by awarding grants, advancing research, policymaking, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
PCAR provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.
The Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape • www.pcar.org • 717-728-9740