Full Time York, PA, US
Requisition ID: 1097 to apply
To be an advocate for victims of violent crimes and serve as a liaison with the legal system, i.e., attorneys, magistrates, courts, police, probation, and judges. Act as an advocate for the mission of YWCA York.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for in-depth client interviews, gathering and organizing information and keeping statistical data as required.
- Maintain confidential materials associated with the clients.
- Provide options counseling by introducing the client to legal options, victim compensation benefits and what to expect in court.
- Provide support individually and provide court accompaniment to clients.
- Develop basic knowledge of criminal justice system and advocate for the rights of the victim.
- Provide the following court accompaniment services to clients: case status updates, courtroom orientation, victim rights notification, victim’s compensation assistance, victim witness intimidation information, and witness management.
- Provide education and support in obtaining legal rights of client and provide referrals and accompaniment to appropriate systems and agencies.
- Stay up-to-date and have a thorough knowledge of all legislation which may affect victims of crime and/or the department.
- Maintain cooperative working relationship with community agencies such as the county court system including the Victim/Witness Program of the District Attorney’s office, etc.
- Assist in the facilitation of support groups for victims of violent crimes and their significant others.
- Attends YWCA York-held and community special events as required.
- May be needed to respond to hospital calls during and after hours.
- Adhere to YWCA York conduct and service standards per funding agencies such as PCCD, PCAR, etc.
- Always maintains confidentiality.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or related and at least one-year work experience preferred.
- Must complete PCAR/PCCD/PCADV advocate training within 90 days of employment.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge/skills in the provision of services to victims in stress.
- Ability to communicate well orally and in writing.
- Reliable transportation required
- Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences. - Treats people with respect; Works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Observes safety and security procedures.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment.