You are here

I’m worried that I may become pregnant

Pregnancy may be a concern for a victim of sexual assault. Emergency contraception (EC), sometimes called Plan B®, is a medication that can be used after a sexual assault or unprotected intercourse to prevent pregnancy. There are different types of EC available. The medication can be taken up to five days after a sexual assault. However, most types of EC are more effective the sooner it is taken.

How do I get EC?

  • Hospital: Hospitals in Pennsylvania are required to give you EC as part of the forensic medical exam, if you request it. If they have chosen not to give the medication, they must provide transportation to a place where you can obtain it. For detailed information, go to
  • Clinic: If you do not go to a hospital, you can get EC through a family planning clinic. At many clinics, EC is free for those under 18. Otherwise, the cost is based on a sliding fee scale.
  • Drugstore: You can also get EC over the counter or at a pharmacy counter. For more information, click here.

Reimbursement for the cost of EC through the Pennsylvania Victims Compensation Assistance Program (VCAP), may be available. Save your receipt and ask the advocate from your local rape crisis center for details. If you have any problems getting EC, call your local rape crisis center at 888-772-PCAR (7227).


How can I learn more about EC?

Office of Population Research, Princeton University